top of page
  • Writer's pictureErica Barnett

Historic Restaurants in Palm Springs

With new restaurants opening and closing every month, it’s easy to forget the ones who’ve stood the test of time. Yes, dining at the city’s newest hotspot or at a trendy room is fun, but some places prove a great restaurant doesn't need gimmicks. Just check out the history behind some of Palm Springs’ oldest restaurants.


The Original Las Casuelas (1958)


Opened by Maria and Florencio Delgado in 1958, this staple mom-and-pop Mexican restaurant on North Palm Canyon Drive continues to satisfy rumbling bellies with scratch-made family recipes highlighting the flavors of Mazatán, Mexico. With a focus on fresh ingredients and warm service, the Delgados successfully launched a local chain of restaurants that they passed down to their kids, including Las Casuelas Terraza in downtown Palm Springs and Las Casuelas Nuevas in Rancho Mirage. Their daughter Florence and granddaughter Alana Coffin keep the Delgado traditions alive in the original restaurant. ‘


Le Vallauris (1974)


A historic home is the setting for one of the finest French restaurants in Palm Springs. Built in 1927, the home was later converted for the restaurant, but the building's original character was preserved and enhanced. Le Vallauris opened in 1973, but today chef Jean Paul Lair uses locally sourced ingredients to create both classic French dishes and plates with a twist.


Melvyns (1975)


In 1975, Melvyn Haber, a New York businessman visiting Palm Springs, fell in love with the Ingleside Inn. He purchased and renovated the property and created Melvyn’s Restaurant and the adjoining Casablanca Lounge. The restaurant not only brought in the entertainers who had their favorite tables but seven presidents, sports figures and politicians have dined there.


Sherman’s Deli (1963)


Sherman and his family moved to Palm Springs, California in 1953. His friend Al Laury needed help in his restaurant, Laury’s Steak Ranch. Sherman worked as a cook in 1954. Twenty five years later, Sherman had 5 restaurants/delicatessens of his own in the Palm Springs area. His first deli was located in Palm Springs across from the Spa Hotel. His restaurants became a tradition and favorite hangout for locals and more than a few celebrities, including Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Hope, Rite Hayworth and Keely Smith.


Mario’s Cafe (1972)


The story of Mario’s Italian Cafés began in 1961 when founder Mario Del Guidice started his career in Brooklyn and Queens, New York. After vacationing in Palm Springs, Mario moved his family to Palm Springs in 1972 and opened his first Mario’s location. Now boasting three generations of restaurateurs, Mario’s Italian Cafés has served The Coachella Valley for over 40 years. Mario can be found every morning at the Bermuda Dunes restaurant making fresh sauces, sausages, and pastas. He is there from about 7 a.m. to noon, then goes around to each of the other six restaurants for about an hour each day.



Sources





170 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Kommentare


bottom of page